Strategy First: Creating High-Quality Content
Posted by Lacey Wilcox | March 28, 2022
It’s no secret that we’re big believers in digital marketing around here. It’s one of the service lines we offer to serve our customers, and we’ve seen great success with it. But using the single phrase digital marketing makes it sounds like a single, straightforward thing when it’s actually nuanced and complex.
Digital marketing isn’t just one thing but is made up of multiple components. It involves a strong website, the use of social media and digital ads, and content. A lot of really excellent, valuable, helpful content. The key to creating this kind of high-quality content is by starting with a strategy.
Why Is Content So Important for Digital Marketing?
In today’s digital age, your consumers have more options than ever before. So in order to help them make a decision about your business, you have to provide them with content that informs them about their needs and how your company can meet them.
Essentially, content marketing is one of the things that most differentiates your company from the competition. While your competitors might offer a similar product or service, and they might also have a website, the content you create and distribute will not only set you apart, it will also educate prospects on why you are worthy of their trust.
Great Content Starts with Strategy
There is no chicken and the egg conversation here. The only way to have great content is to start with an intentional, effective content strategy. Without it, your content marketing will feel haphazard and unfocused.
So what all goes into creating a content strategy that will be effective and successful? Here are just a few things to consider and implement.
- Start with your goals. It’s pointless to just begin creating content without any sort of direction. Your goals help you focus your efforts where you will see the greatest return. This is important because creating good content takes time, and you want to make sure that time is well spent to accomplish your goals.
- Create an in-depth, intimate look at your customers. While your goals have an important and significant impact on the content you create, this content is ultimately for your prospects and customers. It is a way to offer value to them. This means your buyer personas should greatly influence your content so that your audience will actually want to take it in. What kinds of content do they most appreciate? What forms serve them best? Where do they take in content most often?
- Identify topics that help reach your goals and serve your customers. Now that you have identified what your goals are and what your audience wants to consume, you can focus on identifying topics that will check off both lists. If you are a financial advisory firm, and you want to increase clients who are in the age range of 30-40, you will want to choose topics and mediums that resonate with this audience. Maybe you put together a series of short videos that shows the ability to make lasting investments with small monthly contributions.
- Plan out how and when you will create this content. Once you know the topics you will create for your audience, put together a plan for this creation. As we mentioned above, good content takes time. It requires research, planning, and time to actually create. Whether you’re writing a blog or an ebook, shooting a video, or recording a podcast, you want to devote the appropriate amount of time to do it well. You also want to make sure you are including the keywords and phrases your audience is using so that you can include those in your content.
- Distribute your content where your audience can easily consume it. Once you’ve created this amazing content, you can’t just assume people will find it. This is the marketing part of your content marketing strategy. You also need a plan for distributing your content through email, social media channels, and digital ads. Having a distribution plan makes sure you get your content in front of your audience and that it is easy for them to consume.
- View data and analytics in order to adjust your strategy and content creation. This is one of the most important aspects of a content marketing strategy that many people don’t include. You can spend all the time in the world putting together an incredible video series, but if it doesn’t resonate with your audience, you’ve wasted your time. Viewing data and analytics on a monthly basis is an integral part of any content marketing strategy.
Content Strategy from Experts
Creating and executing a successful, intentional content marketing strategy doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time and experience.
We understand firsthand how many hats you have to wear when you own and run a business. We also know that no one knows your business and your customer as well as you do. That’s why we partner closely with our clients: to help take away some of the hats they have to wear, without taking away from their passion for their work.
Want to learn more about how to create a content marketing strategy that generates leads for your business? We’ve got you covered.